Monday, May 28, 2012

Leaving the Nest


We have been keeping an eye on our friendly "hooting" neighbors, and I thought I would update you on their status.  The chicks are now leaving the nest.  They successfully hatched 2 fluffy, head bopping, car stopping owlets.  I say "car stopping" because occasionally someone who is driving by will notice them and slam on the brakes.  It has been great watching this whole process.


It is hard to get a good picture of them being active because they get active as the sun is going down.  During the day they hunker down on a branch or in their nest and sleep/hide.  That is why I took 50 pictures and only a few were not completely blurry.  Plus, I don't take the time to learn how to properly run the camera.
(Mama owl, plus both her owlets)



School is out!!!  My favorite day is field day.  This year I was a timer for the 50m dash.   Ellyn and Quinn did almost every event and loved all the running.  They both took Second Place in the 200m.  Quinn took 1st place in the long jump,  Ellyn, took 3rd in the 400m and softball throw.   And they made it into the final races for all their events.  They inspire ME!



This picture turned out weird because it was still on the "eclipse" setting but this was Coulson's last day of preschool.  He loved it.



On my birthday the kids got up early and decorated the house, what sweeties.  They used window markers to write messages on our windows and mirrors. Ellyn wrote this on our bathroom door mirror.  I say this all the time when they are wrestling or roughhousing and someone comes crying to me that someone else hurt them.  I don't know where I heard it, or if I made it up, but Hey, I'm QUOTABLE.
HAVE A GREAT SUMMER EVERYONE!!

6 comments:

  1. I've never seen an "Owlet". Didn't even know what they were called until reading your blog. I'd have my camera on a 24/7 shooting spree if I had them on my yard. Thanks for sharing. Your children are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to the athletes and graduate!
    That's a great quote!
    And both those owl photos need to be in the county fair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to learn more about my camera too, lets do this together this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had owls around our place, but I've never seen owlets before! I'm glad you caught them on camera! Oh, and I love your quote!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those owls are so cool! And so is your family!! I love you guys!

    ReplyDelete