Thursday, December 15, 2011

GREBES and other stuff

On Monday a huge flock of Grebes (small water birds) crash landed in Cedar city.  We didn't think much of it because most of the birds were on the south end of town, and we're on the north end.  Until this morning when I was picking up our neighbor for our carpool to early morning choir.  We found this little girl on the side of their drive-way.  A couple of Ravens were pecking at her thinking she looked tasty.  But we saved her and let her swim around in our bathtub for a while until we took her in to the DWR.  I had noticed some Bald Eagles in our neighbors field yesterday and assumed they were eating bunnies, nope Grebes.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, if your a big bird) the rest fell victim to the Eagles, hawks and ravens.


 It was a bit freakish to have her stare at you with her bright orange eyes!!!



Our Annual Gingerbread house.  Believe it or not...No fighting, only fun and LOUD, HAPPY decorating.

 We were cleaning off the toy shelf and the little critters found a fun play house.





p.s. this is what happens when you take too long to respond to the calls for help.

4 comments:

  1. How fun to help out a bird....and I don't think Daddy would approve of the last pic. :) But I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my.....how cute is the picture of your little one on the toilet. LOVE IT! I'm sure every mother can relate to this picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking the same thing as Jenny... ha! But, so so cute! :)

    And I heard about the birds! I guess people were wondering why the birds crash landed were they did... but to me, it makes sense. There was a lighthouse there, so they must have thought there was water, too! (It is sad, though... and I'm glad you saved one!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love looking at your great photos! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete